Sunday, September 4, 2011

Week 2 Assignment

This is not my first blog, I have a personal one that I use to convey information to friends and family, but I felt as that has some of my more 'outrageous' statements on it, I would not use that for this class. I also have a third blog out there somewhere, it was created for another class, but we were only required to make a blog and then make two posts, so after those assignments were completed I promptly forgot about it.

I am not one to 'blog' in general. Years and years ago I had a Livejournal account, does anyone remember that? I was studying abroad, so used Livejournal to post updates and pictures for my friends, of all my travels. 

I also must admit there are not a whole lot of blogs I follow all the time. However, there is one I follow, and whenever a new entry is added, a Facebook post is put out. This blog is for the Walt Disney Family Museum. This is a museum about the man, Walt Disney, and is neither owned, nor operated by the Walt Disney Company. In fact the only way it is affiliated with the company is a link from the Disney website, and the fact that the museum is about the creator of the company.

I had the pleasure of meeting the creative director of the museum on multiple occasions, and spoke with him about the blog. He stated it actually took a lot of work to get some of the other employees to see the benefit of having a blog. One of the biggest challenges was the question "well what are we going to put on it?" Of course, in hindsight this is a silly question, its a museum, there are literally thousands of display pieces that could be talked about.

The blog is used currently not only as a way to advertise for the museum, and to inform people of upcoming events, but also as a way to share information of Walt Disney. Some entries are specifically about an upcoming event at the museum, but more often the entries have pictures, and videos, along with text. These entries seek to allow the reading insight into the private life of Walt and his family.

The blog can be found at http://wdfmuseum.squarespace.com/.

This class has only just begun, yet I have already discovered some new tools, such as the voicethread and eyejot which I can think of so many uses for, both professionally, socially and academically. The first chapter of our text book alone, has already caused me to think back just 5 years ago, when MySpace was all the rage, and to think how quickly the world of the internet has changed.

5 years ago I moved from the east coast, to the west coast. I had never heard of twitter, and while I had had a facebook account for years, mostly used Myspace. Now, it seems I am the odd man out for not following anyone's twitter account (in fact I am not quite sure how to use it), and no one uses their MySpace account anymore (which is fine with me as I always preferred Facebook). I wonder, how long it will be before our text book is also out of date!

1 comment:

  1. Good question. I'm sure parts of your textbook are out of date already. But the major players like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Flickr will continue to be popular for a time. The big change happening, though, is within the organization where enterprise social networking tools, like Chatter and Yammer, are being used to allow employees to conduct their work more efficiently. Yammer, for example, will allow only people with verified email addresses to join the company network. This provides the organization with control over the content and dissemination of the message. Check them out: https://www.chatter.com and https://www.yammer.com/

    ReplyDelete